Re: [AMC-list] What's the link for the HAMB Rambler with the Quad 4?

Re: [AMC-list] What's the link for the HAMB Rambler with the Quad 4?

Can't help you on the HAMB link, but if money is an issue you might consider
the Nissan KA-24E. It doesn't have the Offy/Miller look, but it's natively
rear-drive -- the Quad4 needs a special $$ adapter.  There's basically a
KA-24 "series", with the E the bottom of the line. The E version is most
common, and a lot of tuner kids yank 'em and stick in the DOHC version and
all that rot so the "lowly" E should not be hard to find.

It's "only" 140hp stock -- but it's --> 300 lbs <-- lighter than the 195.6;
the RPM range of the motor will be an excellent match to the axles in most
early Americans; you can comfortably cruise this motor at 3500 rpm. Nearly
all the manuals are 5-speed, though an auto might be easier to fit. It has a
large aftermarket. It's got forged innards and a reputation for being very
rugged.

I know purists are cringing, but this chassis has very particular problems
with engine fit. The Ford 200 commonly recommended is hardly newer than the
195.6, is gutless, heavy, and still not AMC.

Here's a quick overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_KA_engine

I bet you could buy a nice sealed up one from a rebuilder.

Personally, I like the breadbox American so much that if this 195.6 doesn't
work out long-term, I will probably go this route. Cars are for driving!