To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 7:39 AM
Subject: [AMC-list] Penetrating Oils Compared

This has been a subject in the past, wish I had the information as to who did the test. The results are quite interesting.
Armand

For all of you that are mechanically inclined.....

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrates for break out
torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to
remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..............214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission
fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one
particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good
as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy. =