Re: [AMC-list] Need help with 76 Hornet sportabout vac hookups to evap c

Re: [AMC-list] Need help with 76 Hornet sportabout vac hookups to evap cannister

My experience with those new-fangled AMC cars is limited, but I figured out
this much the hard way:

1970's cars have three lines from the tank to the front of the car: on the
passenger side, fuel supply and return; on the driver side, the vent line
(for tank pressure equalization).

The supply and return lines plumb to the three-legged fuel filter. Also, the
later fuel pumps run much higher pressure than the 60's cars. The pump
pushes fuel into the fuel filter, and the third leg returns a portion of the
fuel to the tank; I dunno why they do this, but a major side effect is
"normal" low fuel pressure at the carburetor -- without the third leg
returning fuel to the tank, the pressure is high.

The filter should be installed horizontally, rotated such that the third leg
is at the top; this way air bubbles etc will return to the tank.

The steel line that comes up from the car under the brake master cylinder is
the "tank vent", it lets air in/out of the tank as fuel is removed/heat
expansion. There's a tip-over valve under the rear wheel well in a really
inconvenient place.