From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, April 5, 2010 10:24:32 AM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 1979 AMC FREON?

I didn't answer this question!! If it has been changed to R-134a it will have a screw-on adapter on the AC charge ports. Or at least it SHOULD. It is possible to change it over without the adapters, but no shop would do that as it's federal law that the adapters be used to prevent mixing refrigerant later. But a DIYer could easily use R-12 gauges and fill with R-134a.
There are a couple R-12 "drop ins" that are blends of other refrigerants and are supposed to be compatible. Check with your local AC shop about that if your system is just a little weak from age.
31 years is a long time -- if it's low you could have hoses that are cracked (R-134a will ever so slowly leak from old R-12 hoses -- the R-134a molecules are smaller) and leaking, compressor seals, etc. I'd at least consider getting the hoses replaced then have the system drained and recharged with R-134a or one of the blends. I have a product called "Freeze 12" in mine. It's a popular R-12 replacement that is supposed to get a bit cooler than R-134a. Since R-12 is a bit more efficient as far as cooling some old car systems won't cool as good. I find that's mostly noticed in the big cars with lots of space to cool down, cars like the Concord have a system that's not much smaller capacity than the big cars, so generally cool as good (at least as far as the passengers can tell). I've got the old evaporator in mine (original 1963 -- inside the car), but I have a much newer and more efficient compressor (1988 Jeep Sanden unit) and condensor (in front of
 radiator -- a late 90s Chr
ysler LS car parallel flow unit). Along with the Freeze 12 (which probably isn't necessary) it cools REAL good!!
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 06:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: peggy delancey <butterfly15610@xxxxxxxxx>

Anyone know how or if I could tell if it has been switched to 134?

-- Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts
http://www.amc-mag.com
(free download available!)