Re: [AMC-list] Car on the roof

RE: Car on the roof

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:29:07 -0700
From: <hffej@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AMC-list] Car on the roof

Whatever happened to the AMX that sat on the Kenosha factory roof for years and was later restored? If I remember correctly it was a 1969 but after it was rebuilt AMC billed it as the first AMX built. Thanks, Jeff

The roof car was done with NOS parts some time in the early 80 and was the last 2 passenger AMX off the Kenosha assembly line. The car originally had the front end welded up and was used for years as a gauge to reset the factory alignment racks. Story I heard was one of the AMC execs back in the day wanted the car. NOS parts were gathered up and the car was run threw the factory. I believe this was some time in the early 1980's or so. The car is a collection of 1968 and 1969 parts. But it's listed as a 1968. I never got what the whole deal on the car was. It did sit on the old AMC factory roof on the final assembly inspection building for almost 2 decades, when not completed until it was finally assembled some time in the early 1980's. BUT it wound up in the Walter P. Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills,Michigan in the Chrysler complex. It's a black on black car. It's on page 3 of the photos of the cars in the museum or at the: web site: http://chryslerheritage.com/image-gallery.do?method=view&imageGalleryId=1&displayLimit=3&d-49653-p=3&x=6&y=4 . Truthfully you have to call it the last 2 passenger AMX built , not the first. And yes, I'm cleaning out my email box again. Yes, I've seen the car at the museum a couple times and have photos of it.LRDaum