[AMC-list] Interesting JB weld test

 to me anyway.
Considered using JB weld to mount a sump wall around the pump in my Amercans tank.
So, I JB welded two pieces of Galvanized metal I had sanded with 220 grit sandpaper together.
They had about a 1X2" section JB welded together for 48 hours. They were bent in an L with the weld at the short side of the L, just like it will sit in the tank. At 48+ hours I twisted and to my surprise they immediately snapped and popped apart!
Took a little effort, but not nearly what I suspected!

What really surprises me is that the JB product failed in the middle of itself!
There was a layer left on both surfaces, so it bonded well to the sanded metal, yet failed to hold itself together!

I will obviously be NOT using JB weld inside the tank.
The plan was to do this test and then toss it in some gas to see what happened after a few days.
Since it failed phase one, I don't see any sense in going to a phase two test.

I think It may bond the larger 8" x 8" sump metal in and hold, but have read that there is some suspect that
the Ethanol (Joe, is this better :) anyway, there is some suspect that the ethanol in new fuels may attack
the JB weld in a way older fuels did not.

Current plan is to attempt to solder the sump metal in.
I don't really want to drill holes in the bottom of the tank, nor do  want to weld or braze and disturb the intact galvanizing in this tank if I can help it.

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV 26508
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
"I realize that death is inevitable.