Re: [AMC-list] chinese amc emblems, jeeps, muscle cars oh my

Re: [AMC-list] chinese amc emblems, jeeps, muscle cars oh my

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
"
" I mean seriously, does anyone think that Standard, or whatever parts maker,
" is not CHOOSING junk parts to sell you ON PURPOSE? It's not like the Chinese
" are blackmailing anyone --
"
" -- Americans like us kept demanding "lower cost" without stopping to think
" that the bottom might fall out of quality!

this will not be changed easily.  most folks know and care nothing
about how the stuff they buy works.  they are all 'black boxes' and
therefore one part is as good as another.  it's easy to judge price;
it's hard to judge quality, especially if you don't know anything
about the insides of things.  quality is a hard sell.

this also greatly contributes to the throwaway mentality.  the <insert
technological item here> is not understood as a system of parts; it is
-one- black-box thing, and if -it- breaks you replace -it-.
especially if you've become accustomed to accept cheap junk.

" Blame WALMART for that mentality. I've never bought anything from them and
" never will.

sam walton was very militant about buying american and keeping the
dollars circulating in the local economy.  he must be spinning in his
grave fast enough to set fire to his coffin in response to the current
managers turning his corp into china's largest trading partner.  and
they push the price, price, price message as hard as they can, with no
word on quality.  cheap stuff that keeps breaking is in their best
interest - it keeps the ignorant coming back to buy more replacements.
it just has to be 'good enough' to not be obvious crap.

i have a friend who has a flourishing sideline in refurbished pcs that
people -give- him, b/c the hard drive or monitor or kbd has failed and
'the computer is junk'; it no longer goes when they push the button...