Re: [AMC-list] matador machines & clones ect

Re: [AMC-list] matador machines & clones ect

Rocky mentioned
"That is what it is apparently...All these years I thought a Matador Machine
was some sort of super rare car when it is, in actuality, just a rare option
package. It is apparently not a specific model like an SC360 Hornet, a Rebel
Machine, or a SC Rambler. I'm almost certain now that all of this has come
out, I saw the 360 version of one around 1980-81. It's funny how something
like this can be hyped into legendary status almost without merit. On a
level playing field, there is no way a "Matador Machine" is any rarer than
any other scarcely equipped AMC or Rambler...engine, tranny whatever."

Well sort of! Super rare car? I would say yes with a estimated 2-3 of them of (possibly 68) made known to exist. Chances are even AM Dealers didn't know (or care) about them. Keep in mind that the Matador for 71 was a rebadged "New AM Supercar" Rebel Machine from just year earlier, released with much fanfare. Didn't help it sell worth a crap, but released to much fanfare at NHRA Finals in Dallas in October 1969:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250602363692&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:MOTORS:1123

Detroit Auto Show 1969
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/press_photos/70_machine_autoshow.jpg

You probably did see a 360 version back in 1980-81, that photo I took at the NAMDRA National meet of Pat Wnek's Matador Machine, I had never seen one. And he was not advertising it as such if I recall, it was only thru some research that it was ID's as one. Chances are, like walking past a IH Travelall, Scout or old IH school bus in salvage yard like we are prone to do, never giving it a 2nd look, when under hood lurks a AMC 401, many people thru decades have walked past a Matador 71 which may/may not be a Matty Machine.

Is it rare? Sure, but a case could be made for many other AMCs out there. My 71 SC/360 is only known Medium Blue Metallic one known to still exist. Who cares, I don't. It's r/w/b now because that medium blue is just horrid color, dropped after 1971. Thankfully AMC sealed the lid on Golden Lime Metallic after 2 years. Never have figured out why Hileah Yellow popped up like herpes in 1968, disappeared in 1969, then reappeared in 1970 again like a bad reoccuring case. Too bad 68 Calcutta Russet was not carry over color to 1970. But when one starts crunching numbers on say, how many made, then how many made with X engine & Y trans, coupled with Z paint color, the numbers are in toilet.

A classic case would be the BBB 69 AMX that was on ebay last year. It was a 290/AT and well, Big Bad Blue. So only 299 two seat AMXs ever made with 290/AT.....that is the lowest production of all engine/trans combinations from 68-70. Then you add the BBB paint, that is also lowest production of 69 AMX big bad colors with only 195 made. So you have a car that is probably one of 2 left in existence. It started for $32K, each week dropping until last time I saw it at $16K buy it now. One could not restore a 'rare' car of that calibler for that much. Would the same number....299 made in 195 color, maybe 2 exist.....commanded same $$$ if say, Chevrolet, Mopar or Ford? Who can say, it was a AMX.

What about the 71 1971 Gremlin two seaters made with new 258? Or the only ONE 1971 Hornet Sportabout produced with a 360V8? Or the ONE base Matador wagon made with a 232? Or the 9 71 Ambassador SSTs made with 401? Equally rare, and wow, some of them one of one made, but chances are no longer around. Equally rare? Sure. Collectible? Of course! Hyped, eh, probably not, hard to get excited about having only one made 71 Matador wagon with 232 I guess. Neat bragging rights if nothing else!

But the lines become really blurred when it comes to production, and packages, as some did indeed get hyped, by AMC and auto rags at time, others simply rolled out and made difference, and even dealers didn't know what the hell it was. Some didn't care as long as they could find buyer for it or bring folks into showrooms and onto lots.

We could go on about stuff like Rebel Raiders

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc_ads/69rebelraiderad.jpg

or 70 Javelins with spoilers

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc_ads/cornelius_rambler.jpg

perhaps....... :~)