Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 cranks, flat vs. volcano, manual transmission fitme

Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 cranks, flat vs. volcano, manual transmission fitment -- cast iron don't lie

Thanks Tom.................Mike K.

-----Original Message-----
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Mar 25, 2010 2:48 pm
Subject: [AMC-list] 195.6 cranks, flat vs. volcano, manual transmission fitment -- cast iron don't lie

Volcano and flat butts are NOT interchangeable with the manual transmission.
 have both in the shop, plus a mock-up T-96 (input shaft and bearing
ounted in an empty case).

FACT CAST IN IRON: the volcano butt puts the pilot bearing 1" out (towards
he rear of the car) from the flywheel mounting surface. The flat crank
eaves the pilot bearing flush with the flywheel mounting surface (actually
 think it's recessed a few ten thou when installed right).
FACT CAST IN IRON: the volcano butt crank will not accommodate a pilot
ushing for a 3/4" input shaft. The bore hole in the crank is about .810".
The bore hole in the flat crank is about 1"; I can't measure right now, the
ngine's bolted to a stand.)
FACT CAST IN IRON: The 1963 T-96+OD that came in my '63 American, and a T-96
rom a 1964 Classic, require 3/4" pilot bushings. I can't vouch for other
ears.

The remaining possibility for a manual trans in a volcano-butt motor is the
xistence of a shorter input shaft with a smaller pilot diameter.
As far as I can tell from paper research, the ONLY manual transmission
vailable for this chassis, ever, was the T-96 (and OD variant). I'd love to
e wrong here.