Re: [AMC-list] quick ratio turns question

Re: [AMC-list] quick ratio turns question

" From: "tom jennings" <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
"
" I hate power steering though, hate hate hate. Feels like those drivers ed
" machines from the 70's, or stirring a pot of water with an oar. My Classic
" and AMerican both are manual, steering effort is good for you. 17" factory
" wheel on the CLassic, but a 15" Mooneyes green metal flake on the American.
" "Suffer for beauty" I say. Makes for a strenuous workout in a rally I can
" tell you. I had blisters on the second day. I wish it were a faster ratio,
" but on that car, there is simply no choice. If there was, I'd buy gloves.

me too.  i found the fast ratio very comfortable in the american; few
corners i have to move my hands on the wheel for and with the 17"
wheel i can just about drive one-handed at road speeds.  caster
setting probably plays a large part in this.  that may have been the
reason for eddie's dad's grunting.

i'd love to de-power my xj.  manual steering gear isn't a problem, but
i don't know where to find a larger steering wheel.  it's a '94, so
airbags aren't a problem.  would a '70s [say] saginaw-column manual
steering wheel fit?  bonus points if it takes the jeep horn button...