Re: [AMC-list] quick ratio turns question

Re: [AMC-list] quick ratio turns question

My '70 Hornet, a 'stripper', had a fast steering box in it -- 2.5 turns lock
to lock. Really. It was NICE! 108" wheelbase, to the AMX's what, 98? Well
under 3 turns, and yes, it had the right steering stops in it. No signs it
had ever been removed/replaced. I'm convinced it was factory. Requested
option or top of the pile? We'll never know.

I hate power steering though, hate hate hate. Feels like those drivers ed
machines from the 70's, or stirring a pot of water with an oar. My Classic
and AMerican both are manual, steering effort is good for you. 17" factory
wheel on the CLassic, but a 15" Mooneyes green metal flake on the American.
"Suffer for beauty" I say. Makes for a strenuous workout in a rally I can
tell you. I had blisters on the second day. I wish it were a faster ratio,
but on that car, there is simply no choice. If there was, I'd buy gloves.