Re: [AMC-list] Fwd: Nash 234.8 OHV six

" Re Babbitted 8s - not by 1940 they did not. Couldn't have taken that
" much longer to change over. The 8 was still on paper for '42 but the
" number of 4280s produced must have been incredibly small if any.

you're right about it going to '42, but egge shows 'rebabbitt 9 mains'
the whole time and no cam bearings, though '34-'42 shows cb56 and
cr860 for the conrod, and rod forging #25177 which is the same as
the 234.8 '34-'49.

Far be it from me to disagree with Egge, however; I was involved in the overhaul of the engine in the 4081 Sakhnoffsky 'Playcar' featured in Hemmings' article "The Count from Kenosha" about 4-5 years ago. Insert bearings were used. Just to be sure, I checked the 37-42 parts book. 37-42 80 engine main bearing set Nash P/N 3111813 (std), cam bearings 37 #40555, 3842 80 engine #94677, rod bearing set #92147 37-42 80 engine inclusive.

likely true - but like the 172/184/196 it must've been a work in
progress, and its design may have roots as far back as the '25 special
6.

Yes, that was the Ajax engine acquired by Nash when they bought Ajax in '25. So it goes back even further. It was the "Light Six".

any way, this 8 would be the cool period-appropriate motor to have in
one of those nash tow trucks...

No real reason, the OHV 6 produced nearly as much power and torque with far greater fuel economy.

Chip
NCCA
48 4871
ex 40 4021
Occasional Caretaker of 22, 40, 41, 51 and 53 Nash products (as well as an '04 and '09 Rambler)

--
William "Chip" Lamb
Richmond, VA - 804-357-4926