Re: [AMC-list] AMX wiper conversion

Tony, if you have the motor mounting plate along with the motor and the linkage, all those parts will directly replace the vacuum wipers.  The wiper arms are the same too.

What you will need is the electric wiring harness and the switch.  You can advertise in "Parts Wanted" on the amc forum, or put an ad on craigslist and/or you can contact the big AMC vendors and see if they know of a source for the wiring harness.  If anyone is reproducing that harness or the switch, all of the vendors are probably aware of it.  If you are not doing a strict restoration, you can use the wiring diagram from your Technical Service Manual to create your own harness.  You would need to find an AMC-compatible wiper switch.

The TSM explains how to remove the wipers.  It's a tricky operation to get access to that little retaining clip between the motor shaft and the linkage, so be careful.  I'm not sure if the vacuum and electric wipers use the same retaining clip.  Someone on the list will know, I bet.

The AMC vendors have the clip if you lose it.  The postage will probably cost more than the part though.

Good Luck,
Joe Fulton