From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] FMX

" From: Jock J JocewJ Jocewicz <namdra@xxxxxxxx>
"
">That's only a RUMOR Anrew, no one has EVER confirmed that an FMX will
">interchange with a M-1x or M-4x tranny. Internally they share some parts,
">[]
"
"   Not a rumor. Back in the 70's when I raced the Go-Jo Racing Team "Were
" Gone" 69 SC/Rambler, we put a FMX tranny in it because I was tired of
" losing once in awhile because I missed a shift plus it was harder to deep
" stage with a 4-spd. back then. I can't quite remember exactly what we had
" to do to install it but I will try to find out if I have a record of it
" someplace and then let you all know.

that was it!  i met jock years ago at an albany ny show and he told me
of the fmx then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AOD_transmission
the aod evolved from the fmx, and i wonder how adaptable it'd be to
older amcs...  though i believe it has an integral bell.  also,
follow-on 4r70w replaced the fmx planetary with a wide-ratio set, and
i wonder if that would retrofit, to either fmx or iron warner?