[AMC-list] Sign of the times,,,,

> Subject: [AMC-list] Sign of the times,,,,
>
> I am an ASE certified Master Automotive Machinist. Have been since they
> first started the series a LONG time ago.
>
> Got a letter from them today telling me that after the next round of
> certification (this fall) they will drop the "Automotive Machinist" series.
> They said declining number of members taking or renewing this certification
> made it impractical for them to continue supporting it.

Sadly  it's not just a question of people wanting to be machinists, it's also
the whole throw away mentality of modern society, combined with the general
reliability of engines these days.  The -only- people I know, who have had
an engine rebuilt in the last 15 years, are car collectors.  I don't know anyone
who would even consider rebuilding an engine for a daily driver.  Up here in
the salt belt, your car will rust out long before your engine will die.  The last four
car's I've scrapped had over 200000 Km on the odo, and no sign of engine trouble,
but were unsafe to be on the road due to rust.

The car collectors are feeling this as well.  A buddy who's seriously into Jag's
recently mentioned to me that the only machine shops who could do any
real work on an engine, were the few that specialized in building race motors.
There just aren't any other Auto machine shops around any more...

Dave