Re: [AMC-list] painting cars

Yeah, the old "$100 paint job" method! You don't use a house roller, it must be a FOAM roller. You can use foam "brushes" to get in tight spots. Doesn't have to be Rustoleum -- any good OIL BASED paint will work fine. Come to think of it, there's no reason a water based (latex) gloss ENAMEL shouldn't work equally well -- just must be ENAMEL and exterior of course. The trick is to water sand between coats. Takes several days to sand, paint, dry, sand until covered good. As long as you have lots of time and little money you can get a good job this way. Time and patience are needed though!
----------
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:26:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Joe Smith <know_ware@xxxxxxxxx>

for what it is worth, i painted my Honda Del Sol with Rustoleum Safety Yellow.
it came out a lot better than my Rambler American, which was painted by Earl Scheib.
I used mineral spirits to thin the paint to the consistency of milk, and a roller brush.? It took 5 coats to go from black to yellow.? If you are painting a car the same color that it was (white to white, black to black, etc) i think you could do it in 3 coats.?
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts