From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:23:45
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] spun rear axle/hub

Crap, I spun the axle in the hub, in my 63 Classic wagon yesterday. Pulling
out of a parking spot, luckily, not on the 405 freeway.

Yeah, I should have preemptively retorqued them.

It spun less than a few seconds total, so I'm hoping the axle end isn't
ruined. The hub will be though. I don't remember if there's a woodruff key
in there (there obviously isn't any more :-)

I doubt I can find a new replacement hub, but I can probably find a good
used hub. Anyone have any idea what my chances are?

Would Permatex stud locker with a good used hub help? I know that's a kludge
and would pretty much prevent later re-use/repair.

I think I am going to treat this car now as end-of-life. It's on it's third
everything. I can fix anything, but there's a point where I can't be certain
I'll get the high level of reliability I want. This is my desert/long
distance hauler workhorse car. Driven 44 states, 11000 mile road trip,
countless 2000 mile trips, beaches and deserts, hauling and camping. Made
every crazy mod, hack and experiment on this thing (the wiring is safe and
reliable, but unpleasant). After 22 years on my watch I think I've gotten
some good use out of it.

I'll definitely get another wagon.