Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 ohv engine build, always takes longer and costs mo

Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 ohv engine build, always takes longer and costs more...

Wait, I think you are missing something in my point here.... Yes, that's my
point, all AMC engines have a pressure relief valve BEFORE the oil pump.

In all stock configurations, the oil pump has an overpressure relief valve
right at the output of the pump. In the pre-65 motor, it's in the block
between the main gallery and the sump. The oil pump sucks from the sump and
pushes into the main gallery through a port in the block.. There's no filter
to worry about here.

In the '65 configuration, the pump sucks from the sump, pushes into the pump
cover, not the block port to the main gallery. The cover has a relief valve
that dumps overpressure into the pump inlet. The pump cover also has the oil
filter adapter. Therefore, the inlet side of the oil filter never sees more
than 60 psi no matter what. The oil filter outlet goes to the main gallery.

The 232 etc the overpressure relief valve dumps oil directly from the pump
into the sump. Therefore, the inlet side of the oil filter never sees more
than 60 psi no matter what.

All AMC engines limit oil filter inlet pressure to 60 psi.

My question, which I think is unanswerable without a specific expertise or
with a very difficult test setup, is this: How high would VERY COLD oil
pressure go, into the filter, if there was no relief valve? I suspect
worst-case a lot more than 60 PSI.

The only reason for my question, now moot is that the "easiest" full-flow
filter oil pump hack would put full COLD oil pump pressure into the oil
filter. I know it's "probably" fine "most" of the time, but all it takes is
one failure to ruin an engine, and I only have one engine.

It's moot because I will now use a '65 pump.

The only reason to persist at all is that early oil pumps are common, and
full filtration is so damn useful, it would be nice if the old style pump
could be safely hacked for it. That's all.