Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 ohv engine build, always takes longer and costs mo

Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 ohv engine build, always takes longer and costs more...

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 17:21, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wait a minute... since you blocked the oil return in the 65 pump you only
> have the bypass in the main oil gallery. The one in the pump cover no longer
> has a place to dump excess oil pressure, which would have gone back to the
> pan.

No -- ithe '65 pump relief valve in the cover conveniently dumps into the
pump INLET side. It's perfect for a hack job!

I don't think that's a problem. There can only be as much pressure in the
> system as it will hold, so it won't hold more than 70 psi.

Well, the question for me is this: assume it's dead-cold out and my 10W-30
is as thick as it gets. How much restriction is the filter for that oil? If
the filter element doesn't pass the pump's full volume of molasses the
engine's force on the pump shaft will go SOMEWHERE -- pressure on the IN
side of the filter will skyrocket, pop the internal cap off the filter
element, trip the filter bypass(note), pop a can seal? Or stress the pin
holding gear to shaft?

How do I want to find out?! I don't!

Now if some experienced engine person will assure me that a Wix filter will
pass all the cold, stiff, honey-like goo I want without the inlet side
exceeding a dangerous pressure, ... well I'll still use the '65 pump with
relief valve in the cover :-)