[AMC-list] 195.6 ohv engine build, always takes longer and costs more...

[AMC-list] 195.6 ohv engine build, always takes longer and costs more...

The machine work is taking forever not because he's slow, but from all the
trivia. Plus the crank guy was on vacation for a week. In the mean time the
rest of the "accessories" are coming together.

I figured out how to put the 65 oil pump on the early block. I've set aside
the 63 pump mods; it's all worked out and machined, the problem is, it
leaves  the pressure bypass AFTER the filter, so in really cold weather the
pump will jam cold thick oil into the filter which could burst it or shear
the pin, worst-case. Since I have no idea how high pressure would want to go
w/o a bypass, I'm not doing it. This has got to work 100% first time every
time, I don't have a research budget.

But the 65 pump has the bypass in the cover. The problem with that pump is,
the block casting was changed to accomodate it; they milled a passageway in
the pump that is closed by a flat in the block. But the fix turned out to be
easy: I milled the floor of the cast passageway flat, and made a circular
plug that fits into it, when assembled on the block it seals the passageway
to the main gallery. Its easy to see in photos.

Now I have TWO pressure bypasses (one after, one before). I'll stiffen up
the "after" one with a spacer under the spring (raise the pressure to
something useless) so I don't have to worry about it being less pressure
than the other and leaking off oil from the main gallery. I think that's
more reliable than a kludge to seal it.

Then all I had to do was ditch the filter adapter and drill and tap the
outlet for 3/8" NPT elbow to 1/2" flare pipe, thence to the filter that
lives on the back of the timing chain cover. Returns to the 1/4" NPT main
gallery tap. Though I'm adding 16" - 18" of tubing to the main oil, it's
1/2" flare tube, bigger than the pump and block inlets and outlets, with the
1/4" NPT flare adapter about 1mm smaller than the block, and I might bore
that a bit.

I also got a Ford EDIS setup attached to the timing cover. Came out nice!
Looks OEM! EDIS is a crank-driven wasted spark ignition, cheap, reliable,
easily adapted, super performance. No more wobbly distributor! The 36-1
wheel will fit to the damper with an adapter I'm turning on the little lathe
at work. Super clean install and absolutely rigid mount.

Polished all the piston tops shiny, knocking all the sharp edges off and
polishing combustion chambers (80 or 120 grit), defuzzing the ports but not
"porting" that's outa my league and of diminishing value. I'm more trying to
keep heat in the mixture and out of the head and piston. Boxing in that
center siamese port. Switched to 1/4" steel to allay my worries of long term
warpage and subsequently blocking of the port. I wanna do this once, only.

I'm not looking for more power, other than the cam and carburetor the rest
is for reliability. And the carb was mainly because it runs dry in EVERY
hard turn.