[AMC-list] Caution: Howdja pull door panels

[AMC-list] Caution: Howdja pull door panels

Bruce, ditto on most everything, but a couple of words to save you some headaches.

If you live in the middle of nowhere (long time to get to an auto parts store), you can use a screwdriver to work the clips loose at the bottom edge of the door, however, with that method I always use 2 and one of them is a wide putty knife as already mentioned.  We all assume here that you would now, you can't just take everything loos at the top, randomnly stick a big screwdriver under teh panel and start yanking it off.  I have learned what happens with such assumptions!

Once everything is loose that is screwed on, take your putty knife insert between the panel and door on the side away from the away from hinge.  Depending on your year some clips are fairly high so start up by the latch assembly and slide the putty knife down until you hit something.... that's your clip.  With the putty knife on one side come up from the other direction until you hit the same clip.  GENTLYpry unti you feel a pop.  Even if your door panel is "soft" from moisture, this should get it loose without tearing the material.  Work your way around.

When you get it off, if it seams damp inside your door, unplug the drain slots at the bottom and clean out the crap in there to stave off the rust demons a little longer!  You might also consider changing the window seals to keep things a little drier as well.

IF your door panel is damp, check you door alignment and/or change your rubber strip around the door edge.  NOrmally these are torn up at the bottom from us dragging our feet over them for decades!  You will be surprised at how much less wind noise there will be, if yours were worn!  .

If you are not one of us diseased with a Fleet of AMC's yet still have the "Rambler Mentality", this tool may not be worth the under $10 purchase price to you.  Regardless, it is very handy for door panel removal and will not damage it even if damp.  It's on the "Help" rack at most parts stores and may even be called a "inside panel removal tool".  It is like a large, flat tuning fork with a tapered slot between the two tines.  You slide it under the edge as before, but when find the clip, you pull the tool out slightly until you can capture the clip between the two tines.  Then push the tool in towards the center of the door, which compresses the "fingers" of the clip and gently pry up.  Works like BUTTAH!  It's a lot cheaper than replacing panels or using extra screws due to torn clip points!

Have a great week,

Jesse