Re: [AMC-list] AMC factory engine balance

Had a friend years ago that loved balancing 6 and 4cyl. Said very, very few need anything done to the crank. Balance rods and pistons. Spin up the crank and done.

-----Original Message-----
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:33:04
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] AMC factory engine balance

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 06:23, Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a factory new short block 348 V8 which has A B C and D on the piston
> tops in ink marker.   A assume these are weight ranges, but the pistons are
> not paired or "matched" across from each other on the block with the same
> markings.   The short block did not come come with a balancer.  I can flip
> the engine over on the stand tonight and look for balance marks (drilled
> spots on the counterthrows) on the crank.

(Wow, nice find! :-)

V8s are different though, the six crankshaft is like a lever on a fulcrum,
pairs of cylinders balance each other, so if the crank and flywheel is
balanced and the rods+pins+pistons all weigh the same it's balanced.

It's not hard to imagine a scenario then for economical 'close enough'
balancing.

Parts made to inexpensive tolerances, delivered by the pallet load.

AMC employee runs parts on a scale marks A, B, C, D for weight categories.
Let's say A is light, D is heavy.

AMC balances cranks quick'n'dirty, notes errors per throw. Let's say D is
light, A is heavy.

AMC assembler puts A piston+rod on A throw, etc, times 8.

All the hard work would be in the planning, working up weight categories,
making charts, working up the scheme.