Re: [AMC-list] cam crap

I forget who you said makes that cam?
I'm wondering exactly what it would really do in action.
Your right, I don't see twisting that engine above 4,000 rpm.
Not unless there is some magic bullet included with the cam?
On top of that you have the mushroom tappet issue, so, it's not a simple
swap out.  Oh, wait,you do have the side covers so maybe you can lift the tappets
and pull the cam, but still...

  I keep seeing/remembering how short the time in 1st gear was on my 196's.
It was like, let out the clutch hit the gas, shift, well actully more like
push the clutch pedal, clang/shift...  :)

  So, a cam like that may let you run out first/second for less shifting in
those speed ranges, but with O/D you may have a real woofer.
  When you say torque is flat from 2200-4500, How flat?
At what level? Above or below stock?
  I always tried to pick a cam that would drop off ever so slightly
BELOW max rpm, say about 200 rpm. That usually allowed for better
torque down low.

  My thoughts are that you want to both rally and daily drive the car.
Are the numbers down enough to matter in low rpm's?
Are they high enough to be worth the trade off, say you are rallying
those twisties and want to leave it in 2 or 3rd gear and use the engine more?

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV 26508
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
"I realize that death is inevitable.