Re: [AMC-list] Engine assembly

Years ago, when Childs & Albert were in business, they sold an assembly oil to
use on rings that was some formulation based on Jojoba bean oil.  It left no
residue and would burn cleanly if exposed to high heat, yet provided that
initial lubrication to prevent metal on metal galling.  Best stuff I ever
used. I have one bottle left -sadness. Wish I knew where to get more. Total Seal sells a break in oil for rings that is also very good.

Having built over 300 race and high-performance engines of all varieties in
the past 40 years, I have used lots of different stuff to initially lube a
new engine.  If an engine is going to sit for a long time before starting
(which I do not recommend), cylinder walls need lubrication to protect them. Any type of petroleum based lubrication on bearings will work.
IMHO, there is NO substitute for pressure bleeding an engine just prior to
start up.  People reason that there is a time lag on seasoned engines before
oil pressure builds so pressurizing a new engine is not necessary, but they
are not taking into consideration that a seasoned engine has alrady
established a "run-in" pattern on parts and most metal parts "soak in" a
layer of lubrication that is always there, even when there is no oil being
flushed over them.  Newly assembled parts do not have that layer and need the
extra protection of the oil bath to provide the needed lubrication.