Re: [AMC-list] exhaust ports...

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 17:24, Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm just trying to understand the "why" of it.  Are you trying to even out
> the gas flow from the ports or are you trying to eliminate hot spots on the
> head or both?

Oh. I didn't say why, did I! Yeah, both reasons, heat retention and flow. I
looked carefully, they're all otherwise exactly the same except the huge
bubble chamber under the carb.

I will hit all the rough spots I can and remove bad flashing with a Foredom.
Not exactly porting, just cleaning the rough stuff (there is really bad
flashing in there). Besides the little fact I don't know what I'm doing
there's so many 90 degree angles and blobs of casting and bad shapes and
such that it would appear that porting this thing would take far more money
and patience than I'll ever have, and for no real improvement.

To my eyes, the worst thing impeding flow is the huge lump between the two
valve pockets in the head (I left the photos in the exhaust porting page by
accident, at the bottom). I sliced that area open with an abrasive wheel on
my sliced up head. The water jacket is too close to really remove enough
metal to improve that.

But getting hot spots out of the head can't hurt. Equal flow through the
exhaust can't hurt. And it's surprisingly little effort. I fantasize about
headers with three 48" long 1.25 diam pipes, one day. Man would that sound
wierd.