Re: [AMC-list] eagle questions: valve cover interchange, headers, swayba

Re: [AMC-list] eagle questions: valve cover interchange, headers, swaybar, engine paint

Hi Ted,

I cannot say if Addco still makes the sway bars, but they are still listed on their Web site and are also listed on Summit Racing's Web site. When I had my '88 Eagle wagon I used Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB GR-2 shocks and Jeep Cherokee alloys with Bridgestone Potenza tires a bit wider and lower in profile than stock. The only thing I had that I didn't install was a quick ratio steering box (Buick Regal GN/Pontiac Trans Am, etc.). It was nice to drive with the OE box, but I'll bet it would have been a bit nicer with the quick ratio one.

Russ (from Pa.)

Eddie Stakes wrote:
Ted below has come over to the dark side of AMC. Still a Mustang guy, and we used to cross paths thru decades here at swap meets in Texas, Pate, Astrodome Autorama, Del Mar, Conroe, Traders Village to name a handful. He is now fooling with Eagles up there, and has a battery of questions about Eagles, including getting away from the plastic valve cover to a metal one; headers; engine paint; sway bar kit; to hopefully some of you who can help with speak up. I have 4 Eagles, a 81, 82 and 2 88's we drive daily in Houston, and good to see more people picking up the collectible Eagle series, as they are great cars.

So if anyone here can help Ted, please feel free to reply and thanks in advance to all who might, be sure to copy your reply also to him he would appreciate it!

HI Eddie- I bought ebay items from you and you mentioned that you installed earlier chrome cover that had mounting holes and some did not match head but you said you got it to work. Will I still have PCV frt valve in new cover and do I drill grommet holes for 2 studs or do I remove them.If possible- Don't want to take head off to drill all holes to match v/cover. I can use new Permatex spray gskt sealer (cost close to $15.00). I don't mind a few holes not used if new chrome valve cover will seal. If you ever need new billet 258 HEI dist. I found supplier for 84.95 plus $10 S&H instead of 109.95 plus higher S&H. Have you ever tried to put 1988 Jeep 4WD headers on 1984 AMC Eagle with P/S and did they clear frame or did you modify shape? I am also installing alum. intake with small 4 V Holley along with HEI dist., T/chain set and new dual exhaust system in the spring. Took all emission junk off and fuel junk so as to clean up engine area. What color was original engine paint? Last but not least; I got beat out of Ebay over $1.00 last month for original rear 4WD sway bar kit and do you have one or know where I could get one or a panard rod to stabilize rear end handling. Does ADDCO still make one or any other mfg? Appreciate your time and help and keep up the good work. I got some items from Mike in NV. Thanks for your help and info. If you ever need Ford/Mustang help or parts-let me know(50 + years). Got to go get heart stent put in next month-pray for me. GOD BLESS Love in Christ-TED"FORDMAN"EHRHARDT PS -Sure miss Texas swap meets-Bought thousands of dollars and saved a lot of money plus made some.

FordManTED@xxxxxxx
Ted up in frozen Wisconsin.