Re: [AMC-list] Crank compatable?

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:15, <mask1966@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I caught some discussion about the difference in cranks between stick and
> auto cars. My '62 is stick which I want to keep. I can get a 196 from a car
> with auto (to rebuild), but before I buy and spend the money on new parts, I
> need to know if it will bolt up to my standard car. FYI, the engine is from
> a '63 Classic.

I wish I could tell you right now. I will see if I can answer the question
this weekend.

There are volcano butts and flat butts. The flat butts look exactly like
64-71 crank ends. The volcano is peculiar, it's... a volcano, and has rough
casting visible. I'll post photos this weekend. Feel free to bug me directly
on Monday if you dont' see 'em here.

I and others can state that yes, the flywheel will absolutely bolt to EITHER
crank. The 8" clutch and throwout bearing assembly and arm fits and clears.

The problem is that when the bellhousing is on, we don't know if the
transmission input shaft will fit properly into the pilot bearing. The
volcano puts the pilot bearing about 1" towards the back of the car -- I
think. It's critical, and you'll find out at exactly the worst possible time
-- engine in car, inserting the transmission!

I really want to know the answer and I have all the parts here to actually
measure it.