Re: [AMC-list] 232 in an early American

Waterpump will probably work, but the 4.0L and '72 up 232/258 have the wrong bell pattern.

From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
To: wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx, 	"AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family"
	<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 232 in an early American

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 06:32, <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not 100% sure. But the serpentine water pump on the 4.0L is the shortest
> pump out there. Other thought. What about a remote water pump?

Would the 4.0 water pump fit on a pre-72 six? To be true Rambler Mentality,
the engine would have to bolt to the existing T-96 bell in it's current
factory location, hence the requirement of an old six. They're cheap too.

An electric water pump... yup, that'd do it! Engine would be much prettier
too, with only one belt to the alternator!

Then there's the motor mounts. It's not a very convenient problem to solve
up there, but it will be far harder to puzzle out the solution than to
implement it.

[[[Just spent 15 minutes out there with tape measure...]]]

The 232 motor mounts are just forward of the American's suspension. You
could drop mounts down vertically from that suspension system. It's sheet
metal with reinforcements for the bolt-in A-arm mounts, exactly the place
you'd want the motor mass to be tied.

The 195.6 front mounts are 12" or more forward of the suspension, on rather
thin "frame rails" (but of course strongly skinned into the nose cage).

This would totally work. Putting a 232 in that hole would be far less work
than the little Ford or the Quad4 since all the other crap matches up.

There is likely interference with the back of the head and the heater box,
maybe 1" of overlap. But it's just a fiberglas box, you could saw off the
protruding box (the heater core is right behind it) and narrow it up, or
seal off the bottom half of the box with a half-sized core. You'd need a
remote oil filter kit too.

I'm not doing this on the Twin Stick hardtop. 2010 will be the year of road
trips in my Classic wagon (art project in the Mojave late March with
coconspirators), rallying the American, renovating the camper for Burning
Man. The EFI project is put off some more (I will collect parts though).

But unless someone takes the '61, I might think of doing this craziness in
it.

To be honest, I have this feeling I will never use this Navarro stuff. Maybe
I should trade it for something I could actually use.