From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] suspension 101

> I think you're right, positive castor helps stability at least for normal
street driving -- might not for hard driving. On second thought, I think the
strut rod suspension was just a way to make the front suspension cheaper to
build and lighter without introducing too much negative handling effects.
The best riding/handling suspension is unequal length A-arms, but they are
generally heavier due to the weight of the arms than strut rod suspensions.
Even unequal length A-arms introduce some negative castor after a certain
point. This is actually one advantage to the old lower trunnion joint
suspension -- it was very light weight while having the mire ideal unequal
length arms. Most manufacturers that used a lower arm had a heavy stamping,
but the only ones I can think of right now also mounted the spring on the
lower arm, so the lower arm had to contend with that pressure also.

> The early Mustang/Falcon, however, was a screw-up on Ford's part! Some
engineer didn't do all his homework. For 66 the problem was corrected. For
64-65 Mustangs and pre 66 Falcons just relocate the pivot holes for the
upper control arms down about an inch -- the famous "Shelby drop", named
after Carol Shelby who was the first to do it. The 62-up AMC strut rod
suspension is very similar to the Ford, at least for the lower arm. AMCs
don't push the bottoms of the wheels out when the weight is off, never have!