Re: [AMC-list] 232 in an early American

Not 100% sure. But the serpentine water pump on the 4.0L is the shortest pump out there. Other thought. What about a remote water pump?

-----Original Message-----
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:56:29
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] 232 in an early American

I am NOT going to do this, but since I had the '63 Classic (1970 232) and
the '63 American ('63 195.6 ohv) nose to nose... I thought, 'OK, just how
hard *would* that swap be?'

Well...I'm not moving the transmission [else what's the point of this silly
venture], so the engine will just have to stick out front more. When all is
said and done, rear flange to harmonic balancer (OK damper) the 232 is only
3" longer. Right smack in the middle of the radiator core.

But what if there was no radiator... there? Then it fits fine!

So where could a radiator go... well... if there is no battery there (to the
trunk with it), you can *just* cut a 13" x 15" hole in the driver side inner
fender, and put a pricey custom 4+ row radiator and matching electric fan
and blow hot air into the wheel well!

It's not really THAT crazy. You'd need to fab up only motor mounts and the
cooling system. The rest literally bolts in. The '82 aluminum intake manual
*just* clears the inner fender.

Just one odd custom radiator.... A vanilla 1bbl 232ci would be a huge
improvement. Complete driveline compatibility too, no fiddling with gear
ratios or tire sizes.

I happen to have a spare ratty looking '61 American... and that Navarro
motor... and a T-14... heh heh. I've done stupider things. Not this year
though.