[AMC-list] suspension 101

Good Evening All,

I was day dreaming today and got to pondering about the front end suspension
geometry on Javelins, and most other AMC cars for that matter that are
similar. My thought was that when the wheel moves up and down that the
steering geometry changes because of the strut rod. When the suspension
moves up (spring compresses) or down (spring expands) the wheel is actually
moved a small amount toward the rear of the car thus creating additional
positive castor. This must have been a favorable effect.

Positve castor usually creates additional stabilty, correct?

Even when turning corners?

Is this why Mustangs with the strut rod in front of the wheel handled like
crap? (castor went negative with suspension travel)

Was this possibly one of Donohue's "Unfair Advantages" ????

What do you guys think??

Armand