Re: [AMC-list] scrambler gas gauge quit working

Re: [AMC-list] scrambler gas gauge quit working

Sheldon, somethin gyou might want to check, ok, two things, is on your ignition switch there is a small metal U brace holding it to metal dash frame, whihc of course your chrome goes over, but on two 69 Ramblers I had (including my 69 SC/Rambler wagon) I had similiar problems and it was because the small metal brace was not making good contact with the metal dash frame to ground it properly. If my gas gauge was giving inaccurate reading I would reach behind the ignition switch from under dash and move it around then all was fine and dandy again. Drove me nuts, but finally just pulled out ignition switch, cleaned the metal brace behind dash and also cleaned the little U brace so 'bright metal' would show again and shoved it back in place and worked great. My ignition switch still sometimes moved when starting, but never gave bad reading again.

Something else you need to look at is fusebox, make sure the 5/16th bolts are in solid that holds this to frame; and pull out and simply replace the tiny fuse for fuel/temp gauge maybe even putting some of the spark plug wire goo on fuse first, especially if you are in a area with high humidity, can't tell you how many times I have torn a car apart only to discover it was fuse not making good contact due to humidity spuuge on the fusebox prongs. Something else to look for is crawl under car and pull yellow gas wire off from sending unit, crimp it and put back on, making sure the 'boot' is good, sometimes the copper wire in boot is shot, and while sheath and boot look good, wire inside shot so use tester to make sure; also look inside trunk where wire goes thru grommet, sometimes (over 40 times!) with my AMCs I have bought, something has slid across inside trunk and pulled that wire and the sheath is broke and the wire is grounding around the grommet so check wire well. You also might want to check main ground from block to passenger side of crossmember, many times visual looks great but inside wire is green old copper wire, but this main ground is really important, so check and replace it, you can get universal at auto parts store for under $5.

And if all that fails maybe this work:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_dash_module_relay.htm

and a nice early SC/Rambler file on my site

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/stuff/hurstscrambler.htm

good luck,

The guage stopped working,but will work if you run a hot lead off the radio suppressor pin on the circuitboard to a test lamp,and then to the back of the gas guage. If you jump the the two suppressor pins the guage will work but will peg a false read. Does this indicate a problem with the internal voltage regulator inside the guage, or another problem. The temp guage will work as normal if the the gas guage is rigged up with the test lamp. Seems like a low voltage external resistor might work,any thoughts? Sheldon