Re: [AMC-list] harmonic ballancer spinning?

Re: [AMC-list] harmonic ballancer spinning?

The balancer has an inner and out ring separated by rubber.  One of the rings can slip relative to the other ring.  If your car idles well and the vacuum is near the peak, the fixed timing is probably correct.  The balancer rings have slipped and the balancer needs to be rebuilt or you need to replace it.  The outer ring can actually come off, which might ruin your day.

The different year of distributor shouldn't be a problem.  I haven't checked the TSMs but the two distributors might be identical (same part number.)

Joe Fulton