Re: [AMC-list] American synchro transmissons

Nice to hear from you again Jim! You are correct -- the 199 powered American would have come stock with a T-96. Typically, however, the next larger transmission could be ordered as a heavy duty option. So it's possible that the car DOES have a T-14 in it from the factory, or it may have been swapped in later to replace a bad T-96. Either scenario is possible, though the later is more likely. In 64 the mounting pattern to the bell was changed on the T-96 to the taller pattern, shared with a T-14. The pattern changed in 63 for the Classic. Basically all "Tri-Poised Power" mount engines (two engine with one trans mount) got the tall pattern trans, all the old four point mounts got the short pattern. It's also possible that the owner just doesn't know there is no synchro on first gear. If they only drop into first at a complete stop (or less than 10 mph) you'd never know. Shifting up from first never produced a "gear grind" as far as I can recall, just dropping down. T-96 has four bolts in the cover, T-14 has six... if that helps.
------------
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:02:30 -0500
From: Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi guys; I haven't posted in awhile, but I do keep reading.

I have a question I need to post to the collective.  I had thought that on Americans (I'm talking '66-'69, in this case a '68), that when you had a 3 speed manual behind a 199, that it was always a T96 non-synchro 1st gear version.

I have run across a '68 with the 199/3 sp (non OD) - not local - and the owner claims it has full synchromesh  in all gears.  Is that possible from the factory?  Could some of you educate me some on this?

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts