[AMC-list] American sychro transmissons part 2

[AMC-list] American sychro transmissons part 2

> From: amc-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> From: Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [AMC-list] American sychro transmissons

> I have a question I need to post to the collective.  I had thought that on Americans (I'm talking '66-'69, in this case a '68), that when you had a 3 speed manual behind a 199, that it was always a T96 non-synchro 1st gear version.
>
> I have run across a '68 with the 199/3 sp (non OD) - not local - and the owner claims it has full synchromesh  in all gears.  Is that possible from the factory?  Could some of you educate me some on this?

More info: this may in fact be a 232, still trying to figure that out, so the same question on the transmissions, and how is the easy way to tell by looking at it that it's a 232 vs 199?  The VIN or data plate should have a different letter, yes?  If no air cleaner sticker, did they paint the engines different colors?  Anything else obvious from photos?