Re: [AMC-list] 63 american left 1/4

Funny timing. I just got a major water leak ID'd and fixed in my 63
American. The rear floors would fill up (I mean, like 2 quarts) when it
rained. I tracked it down to a tiny spot that had putty filler. I'd always
thought that that spot drained to the same area that window rain did, but
duh, if it needed putty, probably not...

A pic would help but I don't have one -- at the junction of the rear side
window, and the C pillar (2 door HT or sedan) the rear quarter ducks under
the drip rail. The seam (C pillar to rear Q) is a chronic place for water to
collect and rust. If you follow that seam forward, it wraps around the C
pillar about 3/8". RIGHT THERE the putty is dried out, the whole roof full
of water runs down the C pillar/drip rail, right onto that piece of putty.

Over the last month I cleaned that area out good (my rust was quite minor,
surface only luckily) used rust converter, then epoxied (JB Weld) the whole
thing level. It bonds better than bondo I think. I also filled in the
puttied gap with epoxy (wish me luck; I'll watch it for vibration cracks).

NO MORE WATER PUDDLES. Completely dry.

Good luck with the quarter! What a pain!