Re: [AMC-list] M12 Trany

Does anybody know what the stall speed would be on a factory M12? I have an 1800 on my 727.

Later, Keith

On Jan 13, 2010, at 10:00 AM, wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
If the 390 is built to run in higher rpms and the converter is stock it could be a case of miss matched parts. May need to change the cam or converter. How do the dyno torque numbers compare on the bottom end?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:58:24
To: <epd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; AMC, Rambler, Nash,Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx >
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] M12 Trany

AFAIK the M-12 has a 2.40:1 1st and 1.47:1 2nd gear.
      The 727 has a 2.45:1 1st and 1.45:1 2nd gear.

Aside from a difference in the stall speed on the converter (if any) the other reasons for the quality of the launch could be the ignition and carburetor setups. Although the AMX has higher power numbers, the low rpm power could be
off, accelerator pump could be bad, etc.

Ken

Quoting epd <epd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

In my 68 AMX I have the original M12 trany and in my 70 Jav.
I have a 727 and I am wondering what the differnce in the
gear ratio between the two is. My AMX has a rebuilt 390
putting out 380 hp and 470 trq. My Javelin has a rebuilt 360
putting out 325 hp and 380 trq. They both have twin grip
rear ends with 315 gears and in the Javelin I could burn the
tires off of it but with the AMX sometimes it kind of bogs
down and wont even break them loose. I am wondering if it
could have anything to do with the trany.