Re: [AMC-list] Interesting item in A.M.C....

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 19:12, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now that I think about it (after someone else mentioned it, of course!) the
> early Americans, 64-65, might have a smaller taper ball joint than the later
> cars. The big cars used the bigger ball joint all years as far as I know. Of
> course pre 64 Americans have no balls...

I'm not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

I was however talking about 63 (10,80) CLASSIC, big car, not AMERICAN (01).
I'm quite sure that the lower ball joint on my 63 CLASSIC has a BIG taper,
and the '79 Spirit l arm I tried to fit to it the '63 steering knuckle had a
SMALL taper.

I might have the parts around to verify this, but I'm pretty sure of this...
I hope the guy in A.M.C. did simply tighten the nut down and hope that would
hold it in. The small taper will of course go into the hole, it just won't
bite into the tapered hole.

Maybe 64-up AMERICANs have large-taper lower ball joints. I know that 79
Spirit has SMALL TAPER lower ball joint. I tried one.

(63 AMERICAN has no ball joints of course, trunnions all around.)