From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:02:08
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Safety Weinie

True about the rag joint, but it will rip away in a hard frontal collision. It's better than the old solid shaft even if it just allows the shaft and box to pivot at that point and doesn't rip apart. Takes a LOT of effort to rip it apart, but a head on collision easily provides that!

The old columns are as you described. Newer ones (mid 70s on) just have a collapsible intermediate shaft. Those have a "D" or "Double D" solid shaft inside a hollow one that will collapse 6-12" depending on model.

---------