Re: [AMC-list] Breedlove's LSR attempt; trivia

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 13:42, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tom, that grainy photo of the engine is all I have. The only thing I can
> tell you for sure is it is a single turbo unit. The light colored part of
> the turbo in the front appears to be the compressor (air/fuel), dark section
> to the rear the impeller (exhaust). If there are six injectors it might have
> a Hillborn setup. Looks like just an air intake tube on the front of the
> turbo. No telling which block it is.

I know this much: its most definitely the single turbo. THe twin turbo is
looks like a bunch of plumbing what fell off a truck. Most significantly,
the air intake is at the rear.

YOu can see an air filter on the intake; behind that is a complicated
"thing" that has enough protuberances to be a carburetor, as opposed to just
a butterfly for air. Yeah, the compressor volute housing is cast aluminum
and pale grey here (and in real life). Between the compressor and the air
filter next to the driver's head is an awful lot of "stuff". You couldn't
see the injectors, they are underneath, so is the Hilborn fuel distributor.

Some people insist that they were all injected; but there is an old
reference in print to the Dellorto carb, and troubles getting it to work
right.

I had something on the Indy rules at one time. They are different for
> normally aspirated and supercharged cars. Doesn't matter if super is
> mechanically driven or exhaust powered. The limit on those was 182 inches,
> or close to it -- and why yours is about the size.

Well I doubt Navarro did "about", I bet he and everyone else set
displacementwithin 1% of the maximum!

THe question is, is the Indy stock block turbo displacement number
coincidentally the same as the Class D for the LSR? That would be very handy
for builders and racers!