Re: [AMC-list] Safety Weinie (weenie? weeney?)

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 08:49, Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You guys have mades some good points on safety and I can understand Bruce's
> need to protect his son's rather fragile spine. That's a father's perogative
> and I respect that.
>
> But I feel that if you start "updating" an old car too much you change the
> character of the car.  If you're really concerned about safety, drive a
> modern car.  Otherwise, just put your old car out there on the road and
> drive defensively.   There is no "risk free" activity in life.

You nailed it Joe, though I agree with you on changing the character of a
car, personal preference and external needs might mean compromise is
necessary -- and it's your own damn car, do what you want/need to enjoy it!

But an article on "low hanging fruit -- easy safety mods that don't ruin the
character of your old car" would be a good thing, and not AMC specific. (A
nice angle to get some AMC in a car mag though using an older AMC as
target.)

primary
MAINTENANCE!! (bleeding brakes, greasing, lube, tires, ID noises, clean
glass....)
brakes
shocks
new wheels (shaking, leaks)
bulbs! (2057, 2357, etc)
tires are "free" -- new tire tech is superior by default
suspension repairs
wipers

secondary (eg. not dying in traffic or on the side of the road)
battery
alternator
flashers
heater