From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:53:50
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Safety Weinie - Did '68 '69 Rambler American front
	seats come with headrests - other stuff to snag and retrofit?

Those of you with newer Rambler Americans - did the headrests become
standard in '68? '69? Would the seats be a bolt-in replacement for a
'65 if I were to find some? I noticed in the Lagrange junkyard photos
there was a '68 American. I'm thinking of checking if it has usable
bench seats, and if the headrests extend up to 31" or so. Mapquest
puts Lagrange a little more than an hour and a half from me, I might
sneak out for a Saturday drive after calling first.

I know it doesn't offer as much protection as newer seats, but I kinda
like old bench seats. So - '68, '69 - seats about the same as '65,
with the exception of headrests? If the bench is from a 2 door sedan,
do they tend to break in an accident? Less safe than a bench from a 4
door that does not recline? Simple bolt-in if I were to swap from my
'65? Offer better protection, or not really?

I'm thinking about Wesco for the three-point belts, just having a very
hard time extracting my smoking credit card from my wallet this near
to Christmas. If the '68 has thee point belts, they'd be the old
manual style mounted to the roof, and I'd want them mounted to the B
pillar (or whatever the heck pillar it is on the 4 door sedan!). Avoid
'68/'69 three points if available, or snag if the car is accident
free?

Anything else I should snag if I go? Like the steering column? (my '65
is a three on the tree, so I'd need to find out if the junkyard '68 is
the same)