[AMC-list] MGA Newsletter

I found this kinda interesting tidbit recently:

http://www.mgaresearch.com/resources/December20084.pdf
(see page 3)

Touching Base with Dr. Patrick Miller, President: Twenty Years Later

The recent economic situation has brought back memories of MGA?s purchase of the American Motors Proving Grounds about twenty years ago. Today, American Motors Corporation (AMC) is a distant memory for most of us. However, at one time they were the fourth largest producer of light vehicles for the domestic automotive market. Chrysler purchased AMC when they fell on hard times in the fall of 1987. One of the first changes, after the purchase, was to close the Proving Grounds and offer it for sale. All test activities were quickly transferred to Chrysler?s Michigan Proving Grounds. The people working at the AMC facility were, for the most part, laid off, and significant equipment was relocated. As a result, what was once a thriving enterprise quickly became a nonproductive situation.

Almost a year later, in the fall of 1988, MGA came to an agreement to purchase the facility from Chrysler. Initial inspection of the facility was almost eerie. Desks that once occupied by people were left with ash trays with cigarette butts in them, calendars turned to the date of the last work day, unfinished reports, etc. One could not help but feel empathy for those people who so quickly lost their employment.

After cleaning up the place, any feeling of despair quickly changed to optimism as a vision was put in place for what this operation could become. Initially, we focused on the crash testing operation, and equipment was obtained in order to bring the facility on-line. Within a year a new sled test facility was operational. Over the years, many other types of test equipment were developed in order to meet customer needs.

While these initial activities were going on, local technical people were hired and trained to operate the enterprise. In fact, it was primarily the dedication and enthusiasm of these people which has made possible the resurrection of this facility.

Of course, the most difficult challenge was to develop a customer base. Slowly we began to make progress by gaining customers including government agencies and automobile suppliers and manufacturers. As these activities increased, efforts were made to develop relationships with many other industries and companies that serve the transportation sector of our economy. A substantial customer base including both foreign and domestic companies are now served by the technical people at this facility. Customers and visitors from all parts of the world come to this operation located in Southeastern Wisconsin to satisfy their testing requirements.

With our enthusiastic staff and the ability to respond to customer challenges, the future looks brighter today than it ever has looked in the past. So as we look to the future, it is important for all of us to realize that even in spite of possible severe economic dislocations, our future is up to us and if we put forth an optimistic spirit and work effectively, the future will indeed, be bright.