Re: [AMC-list] best automatic behind healthy 304?

You're pretty much correct Nick. 2WD six cylinder cars got the 904, 304 and 4x4 six cylinder cars (and Jeeps) got the 998 and later the 999. All are based on the 904. I was once told that the 998 was basically a 904 with a 727 front pump assembly. There's more to it than just that, the 998 has a stronger case (more reinforcement ribs at least) and some stronger internals as well, but is based primarily on the 904 design. The 999 adds some other strength (power handling!) enhancements, but I don't know the exact details on either.
-------------
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:27:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am not 100% sure but I think it depends on the year. I think all of the earlier style smaller TF trans were?all referred to as 904s. I have always referred to them as the 6 cyl 904 and the V8 904 as I believe that is how they started out with AMC and didn't change to being called 998s until later on. Again, I am not 100% sure on that so don't take it as Gospel.

Nick

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts