Re: [AMC-list] best automatic behind healthy 304?

Re: [AMC-list] best automatic behind healthy 304?

Nope you're not dumb at all....

>From what I've heard the 904 and 998 will live behind a high horsepower (not
too high) engine if built correctly, which means parts exchange.
If the 304 is a 1970 or 1971 model, the 904/998 flexplate/torque converter
won't fit the  pilot/crankflange without modification.
and yes you are correct, the BW (especially the aluminum cased versions are
turds and there aren't as many aftermarket parts for them. The aluminum case
versions are unreliable, won't take much power, expensive to rebuild and a
bitch to rebuild. I couldn't seem to get more that 50,000 or so miles out of
one without it giving up. Might be worth looking into a ford overdrive
automatic and adapter kit or do as I did, dump the autos for the manuals,
you're already inclined that way anyway.

Another option might be to glue a bell (from earlier post by Marc Montori)
to a ford transmission (even manuals) instead of buying the adapter, I
wonder how tough it is to get the  torque converter to adapt  on these
things    http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/1481358032.html

Find a T5 from a 91 to 93 Mustang GT with 330 lbs ft of torque capability
and you shouldn't have troubles with a mild 401 in front of it, as long as
you aren't using really sticky slicks. You can search the web and spend more
money on the T5 to make it live behind the 401 too, or just get a Tremec T5
built to handle more power.

I start dreaming too, when I get full of beer, it's always about a
Penske/Donohue TA clone and some hot babes that love me and
cars/racing..........mental issues I believe..........

Enjoy your Thanksgiving all,
Armand