Re: [AMC-list] New here, automatic

There were two cranks in 61-62 then, with and without the volcano. My 61 and 62 Americans had flat butt cranks with the manual trans. For some reason the auto used in the Classic had to have the volcano (and I presume American auto also), and most Classics got the volcano butt crank whether they had an auto or manual. So technically the manual can have either flat or volcano, but the 57-62 B-W auto had to have a volcano butt. At least that's what I derive from the info gathered between us. If anyone can add to this info, like they have a 58-62 American with auto and the trans is off where they can see the crank flange, please let us know! My three 61-62 Americans were all manual and had flat butt cranks.
------------
Date: 20 Nov 2009 03:21:58 -0000
From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] New here, automatic,

casper, my 62 classic with the manual has volcano crank, and also the other 62
i got with the aluminum motor had vocano crank/manual also. rosie (63 440H)
was the first one i had the flat crank on. i have a 3rd crank from another
motor i robbed parts off of that has volcano also, it was a manual trans
also. the manual flywheel will work with either crank. its the
converter/flexplate that changed late 62/63 that needed the change to the
flat crank.
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts