Re: [AMC-list] Why?

"Spro" <msproviero@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>I see it as not punishing themselves.
>
>Besides the annoyance of people wanting you to part a vehicle out that you either don't want to deal
>with (or can't), the scrap yard will actually pay you more if you time it right.  I got nearly $400
>each last year for a 327 Wagoneer and a 327 Gladiator that people would not buy for far less.
>
>If you can't pay more than the GARBAGE MAN for parts, it may be time to re-think one's strategy.

That's just it -- I am certainly willing to pay a few bucks more than the garbage man to keep useable AMC cars or parts from being shredded and shipped to China, but dammit, why do I have to pay TEN or a HUNDRED **TIMES** what the garbage man does?

In the original example, it was a person offering a 290 motor to hobbyists for hundreds of dollars.  If he were to take the engine to a recycler, right now they're paying $5 per 100lbs -- so a 600-lb AMC V8 would bring him $30 with him delivering it.  If someone picks it up, they're not going to give him much, if anything.  More likely, he'll get nothing.  2008 prices (when thieves were cutting out catalytic converters, and raiding buildings and back yards to steal metal to trade for crack money) were outrageous.  Remember Arfon's message about someone stealing his radiators and other metal he had in his yard?

Yeah, I got a couple hundred dollars for a completely stripped Ford rustmobile in 2008, too -- but those prices aren't coming back any time soon.  Everybody in the business knew the bottom was going to fall out.

Scorched-earth indeed.

Like I said, the Mustang guys I know are sometimes friendlier and more supportive than AMC guys.  It should be the opposite, because we don't have much left to save.

Look, I even went to the extra expense of buying everyone I sold a car to this year a membership in either AMCRC or AMO, plus our local chapter -- thirty to forty bucks out of every car sale, as part of the deal.

69 AMC Rambler - 199/3spd manual.  New club members: Randy Ferrance & son.
65 Rambler American 232/AT.  New club member: Robert Voke.
68 AMX 401/AT.  New club member: William Latimer.
78 AMX 304/AT.  New club member: Charles Nickerson.

And that's just 2009.

Investing almost $150 in the hobby, without being asked, doesn't quite fit the definition of RM.

MARC MONTONI
Richmond VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm