From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 19:52:10
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] Some Progress

I finally convinced myself I needed to finish the quarter panel repair on the Rambler this weekend.  After the morning chill was gone it was  a great day to work outide.  When I had cleaned the old paint off of the quarter to investigate the rust bubbles I uncovered lots of bondo and a fairly poor attempt at repairing an old crease.   That created a lot more work that I expected.  I pushed some of the old dent out using a body spoon and hammer inside the trunk.  Then it took several coats of body filler to finally smooth the area.  I got DP50LF epoxy primer on it this evening so it should wait for next weekend now.  I learned more about my spray gun today too.  I had never really disassembled it in the past; after painting I just rinsed it good with lacquer thinner.  I learned that only works for awhile.  It started spitting and I needed to change the fluid tip anyway for the primer.  So I removed the packing nut, needle and bushings and cleaned up the
 air nozzle.  The fluid tip was so bonded to the housing that I had to soak the gun in boiling water for about ten minutes to loosen up the residue.  Yes, it was dirty and I know now to clean it well often if not after every painting session.  What a relief to have that quarter almost ready for paint.

Also, I got ESPO leaf springs for the rear, with one inch of extra arch.  This baby ain't gonna be no tail dragger that's for sure.  Stink bug, maybe, but no tail dragger.  Joe Fulton