Re: [AMC-list] airdam for my American

It's darned ugly too! Just not "right" for the car! Shorten it to about the centerline of your air intake holes and it should be okay for driving, but still ugly. I made one once. Left the original valance on and made about a 3-1/2" dam below it, rouned on the outside edges. This was a temporary experiment -- all I did was cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the shape I wanted and drilled about four 1/4" holes into the bottom rear edge of the valence. The plywood form was about 2" front to back. I just flattened the bottom of the valence and bolted the plywood on. The dam itself was a piece of 3-1/2" vinyl "cove base" that was left over from a job, with the curved edge down. Actually looked good, but the vinyl didn't hold up well to cold weather and started cracking. Took it off before it got rough, decided it didn't "jive" with the looks of the car enough to make a metal one.

---------
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:14:23 -0800
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

I made it in three weeks, ran it for one week, took it off. Couldn't stand
the lack of ground clearance. As it is I can drive over curbs or whatever I
feel like, and fly over rough roads with it's crazy suspension travel. With
this thing on, I had to crawl into driveways. Ugh!

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Airdam/

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts