From: Marc Montoni <Freedom@xxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Richard Estermyer <javelinman74@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 22

Richard Estermyer <javelinman74@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Also trying to find out what other brand carburator, than the Carter on my Concords could be used?  Both have trouble idling and running and I am not sure IF it is worth rebuilding a Carter or to move on to another.  Does anyone know the cfm for the 6cyl?

I just rebuilt the BBD that was on my 79 Spirit liftback a couple of months ago.  I could have just pulled the needle and seat to clean them (needle kept sticking due to old gas) but figured it deserved a good cleaning and overhaul.  I was glad I did it!  The insides were filthy.  Once cleaned up and reassembled, you couldn't tell it from a new one.

Rebuilding is not that hard, and it is *by far* the cheapest way to get a good carb on your engine.  The rebuild kit was twenty bucks.  The only other thing required is one of those one-gallon cans of carb/parts cleaner.  That stuff will take the hair off your...  uhhh... never mind!

I have only rebuilt one other carb (a 2-bbl Solex on a VW Dasher, back in 1983 or so) and the BBD was easier to work with than the Solex.

Anyway, the kit came with absolutely everything and the instructions were clear (although I didn't read them until after I was done).

-- Marc

P.S.  Side note: I much prefer the two-stage (one barrel normally supplies engine; secondary opens only when needed, as in a typical 4bbl) Solex over the single-stage Carter (both barrels supply engine at all times).  I would think a two-stage would provide better gas mileage as long as you can keep your foot out of it.  Does anyone know of a two-stage 2-bbl carb that would be a bolt-on on a 2bbl AMC six cylinder manifold?